Saturday, July 4, 2009

"And I'm Proud To Be An American..."

Happy 4th of July!
O.K., I heard that song by Lee Greenwood about 25 times today. Definitely one of the most popular Independance Day songs there is, right up there with 'Stars and Stripes Forever' and 'The National Anthem'! Amidst the patriotic theme though, I had an odd day. I am 'proud to be an American' but I wasn't so excited in a way about being a 'dad' today.
My oldest daughter and I drove 300 miles today thru three states to take her to a long awaited two week Harp Camp. This is quite an honor for her to be able to attend. Thirty young people from all over the United States and Canada was chosen by audition for the two week course. I'm very proud of her accomplishments but it didn't make it any easier leaving her there. We just got our middle daughter Sara, back from a missionary trip church camp two days ago. I missed her tremendously when she was gone as well. Now we'll have to wait a while to get everybody back together again. Lord willing, we'll be down there soon watching Katie's 'closing ceremony' concert.
In the mean time, I wonder if this is evidence of how busy our world has become, or a sobering reminder of how short life is, of how fast time passes. Irregardless of which, I have a strong feeling I need to make more time for the girls while we still have it.
Ephesians 5:15 says this: " Be careful then how you live- not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity...". John 10:10 says: "...I (Jesus) have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
I've heard it said that everything has one of three perspectives, internal (what about me, right now), external (what about everybody else, right now), or eternal (what about God, and eternity). I think of this and wonder if I use my time wisely, if I 'make the most of every opportunity', and if I make a difference for God's eternal Kingdom. I can only deduct that, in every aspect, I have a long way to go...
So, as you go thru your day, look for an opportunity to make a difference in someone's world, take the chance to spend a little more time with someone you love, look for a way to make a difference for God's Kingdom, and thank Him for the freedom we enjoy in this great country we live in!
As for me, I'm thinking back to driving home in the dark night, rain tapping on the windshield, watching fireworks pop up randomly in the landscape, missing our daughter, and listening to 'Proud to be an American' one more time.

Keep pressing on...

No comments:

Post a Comment