Saturday, June 20, 2009

"You See Things Your Way...I'll See Things My Way."

Ever thought of how differently we all perceive things? Perception 'seemingly' brings perfect clarity to an individual, yet causes, at best, confusion to a group. Having a different perception,or understanding of a situation can cause disagreements, arguments, even all-out-war between friends.

Case #1: True story. It's 5:45 p.m. on a Friday evening, Scrapbooking Club night at the Wiggins' house. Chrissi (my wife) + 12 other scrapbookers = Mike and the girls need to head for higher ground. The girl's take: 'Yeah! Hang out with Daddy at the mall and eat at our favorite restaurant- Burger King.' Chrissi:'Yeah! No kids or hubby, scrapbooking with the gals, and I don't have to eat at my most un-favorite restaurant- Burger King.' Mike " I'm exhausted. But, at least I get to hang out with the girls and eat at my favorite restaurant- Burger King.' 7:45 p.m..We'll call her 'Sue' to protect her innoncence, receives a call from her kids. "I told you not to call me here unless it's an emergency..." 7:49 p.m. Another call, " Don't call me here again, please." 8:02 p.m.. Yet, another call, "IF YOU CALL ME HERE AGAIN, I'M GONNA' KILL YOU!!!!!" Chrissi's take: ' That's hilarious!'. 'Sue's: 'Those kids are driving me crazy!'. The 11 other women as they sit there with jaws on the floor in total terror: 'Oh my, we've all just become accessories to murder!'. 10:00 p.m. The girls: ' Man, that was fun and we got to eat at our favorite restaurant- Burger King.' Chrissi: 'Oh no, are they back already?' Mike: 'I'm exhausted, but I had fun with the girls and got to eat at my favorite restaurant- Burger King.'

You see, just a simple turn of events yet, many different perceptions.

Case #2: True Story. Who is Jesus? God: 'This is my Son, whom I love'. The angel: 'the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God'. The centurion soldier: ' Surely he was the Son of God'. The evil spirits: 'You are the Son of God'. John the Baptist: 'this is the Son of God'. Nathanael: 'Rabbi, you are the Son of God'. Martha: 'Yes, I believe that you are the Son of God'. Paul: '...to be the Son of God, Jesus Christ our Lord'. John the Apostle: 'His Son, Jesus Christ'.

Thankfully, there are some things that are so sure, there's no room for mis-perception.

So, next time you are involved in a disagreement with someone, please try to gain an understanding of their perception, their side of the story. It may help you 'see things their way'. Who knows, you may find out that they are actually right!

I can hear my wife saying right now, "Honey, you need to practice what you preach!!!"
Why is her perception always right?

Keep pressing on...

1 comment:

  1. Amen Mike! I'm so glad you are writing a blog. Thank you for sharing your faith and encouragement, thank you for being obedient to God's calling for you.

    ReplyDelete